Many Christians see theology, the study of God, as being the labor exclusively taken on by pastors and scholars. Such Christians are mistaken and are missing out on something incredible. And here are seven reasons why…
- Because to know God is the essence of eternal life (John 17:3)
- Because God has made himself known (Hebrews 1:1, Deuteronomy 29:29)
- Because by beholding Him we become like him (II Corinthians 3:18, 1 John 3:2)
- Because by knowing God rightly we worship him rightly (John 4:23, Proverbs 19:2)
- Because we are commanded to get knowledge and to think on excellent things and there is nothing more excellent than God (Proverbs 23:12, Philippians 4:8)
- Because we should be always ready to give an answer for our hope and be ready to teach others (1 Peter 3:15, 2 Timothy 2:2)
- Because there is literally nothing greater that we could do than this (Jeremiah 9:23-24)
If these seven reasons are not enough, then I don’t know what is.
There are many amazing, sound resources available for you to get started on and I would love to make suggestions. For starters, feel free to take a listen and look at what we are doing to encourage the work of theology at Immanuel by clicking here.
Thus says the LORD: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.”
(Jeremiah 9:23-24 ESV)